Thinking of fostering a dog? Good on ya! You’re well on your way to changing the lives of pooches in need. At Waldo’s Friends, we want to make your dog fostering journey as easy and effortless as possible. That’s why we came up with this handy list to help out interested dog fosters living within or close to Sydney. In this Waldo’s Friends guide, we’ll share:
- Rescues in need of dog foster carers
- Dog-friendly places in Sydney
- Facebook groups to join
- Dog fostering resources to read
Rescues in need of dog foster carers
Found in and out of Sydney, these New South Wales-based rescue groups are always in search of dog foster carers. Inquire directly to find out what their fostering requirements are, as well as which kinds of dogs need immediate support.
- 4Lyfe Rescue
- Beagle Rescue NSW
- Bull Arab Rescue
- Canberra Pet Rescue
- DCH Animal Adoptions
- Deaf Dogs Rescue Australia
- Firefly Animal Rescue
- Furry Friends Forever Rescue
- Greyhound Adoption Program NSW
- Greyhound Rescue
- Kiki’s Safe Haven
- Sydney Dogs and Cats Home
- Sydney Pet Rescue and Adoption
- The World League for Protection of Animals Inc
New South Wales
- Albury Wodonga Animal Rescue
- All 4 Dachshunds Inc
- Animal Rescue Coffs Harbour
- Animal Welfare League NSW
- Best Friends Pet Rescue
- Bull Terrier Rescue Australia
- Byron Dog Rescue
- Coastal Pet Rescue
- Domestic Animal Birth Control Society (DABS)
- Dachshund Rescue Australia
- Denise At Paws Inc.
- Dog Rescue Newcastle
- Doggie Rescue
- Dogue De Bordeaux Rescue
- Greyhounds as Pets
- Fetching Dogs
- Helping Hearts Animal Rescue Incorporated
- Hounds in Homes
- Mini’s Bulldog Rescue Club
- Northern Rivers Animal Services
- RSPCA NSW
Dog-friendly places in Sydney
Let your foster dog enjoy the sights of Sydney while under your care! But always remember to follow the shelter’s advice on sociability and how to introduce your foster dog to different environments in a safe and nurturing way so that you help the dog gain confidence over time.
Read these blog posts of fun spots to visit:
- 8 Dog-Friendly Walks and Parks in Sydney
- Sydney Dog-Friendly Walks: Bidjigal Reserve NSW
- Sydney’s Pet-Friendly Bars & Cafes
- Sydney’s Best Dog-Friendly Beaches
For road trips and overnight stays, check out our handy travel guides:
Facebook groups to join
Explore NSW-based online communities that can help you learn more about foster care or find dogs to care for:
- Animal Foster Carers NSW – This Facebook group helps connect potential foster carers with rescue groups based in NSW.
- Sydney Vegan – Animal Adoption & Fostering – Organised by a group of vegans, this Facebook community aims to help other like-minded individuals with regards to “adoptions, fostering, rescuing, and rehoming all animals great and small (including farm animals).”
There are also other Facebook groups open for Australia-based pet foster carers:
- Adopt/Foster/Rehome – Pets in Need Australia – A public Facebook group that allows animal rescues to post information on animals that need foster care.
- Animal Foster Carer Network Australia – A virtual community where animal rescues can look for reputable foster carers.
- Foster Carers Express (for animals only) – Another Facebook group formed to help find foster carers throughout Australia, Tasmania, and New Zealand.
Dog fostering resources to read
These helpful guides will help you become the best foster parent.
Guides from Animal Welfare League NSW
- Caring for mum and her puppies
- Crate training
- Dealing with separation anxiety in dogs
- Dog training
- Fostering a dog that needs strict cage rest
- Fostering a shy dog
TIP: For foster carers experiencing behavioural issues with their wards, inquire about Foster Dog Training with DogTech Behaviour Training.
Guides from Waldo’s Friends
- Dog home grooming and clipping his nails
- Crate training a puppy
- Potty training a puppy
- Removing fleas and ticks
- Soothing an anxious dog
- Stopping a dog from barking
TIP: For business owners thinking of setting up a workplace foster care program, read this informative guide created by PetRescue.
Foster care brings stray, orphaned, abandoned, and abused dogs one step closer to their forever homes. Be an integral part of animal rescue by signing up to be a dog foster parent in Sydney today!