The short answer: It is not recommended.
The long answer: Though not as potent as milk or dark chocolate, white chocolate still contains the component theobromine, which is harmful for dogs. The poison levels vary depending on your dog’s size, how many grams of chocolate he consumes, and what kind of chocolate he eats in one go. The darker and less sweet the chocolate is, the more harmful it is for your pooch.
In the case of white chocolate, your pooch needs to eat a substantial amount to suffer from chocolate toxicity. Signs include vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and even heart attack. Feeding your dog white chocolate can also result in long-term health problems such as pancreatitis, diabetes, weight gain, and/or urinary tract infection.
What to do if your dog accidentally eats white chocolate: A small piece of white chocolate won’t harm your dog. For larger amounts, observe him for signs of vomiting, diarrhea, severe agitation, tachycardia (elevated heart rate), abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, seizures, and collapse. Take him to the emergency clinic if he exhibits any of these symptoms, so the vet can treat him accordingly.
However, if he consumed white chocolate mixed with nuts, identify which nuts were present in the bar and call your veterinarian immediately. Walnuts, pistachios, and macadamia nuts contain toxic elements that should not be consumed by your dog.
In summary: If you’re thinking of giving your dog a sweet treat, you’re better off giving him naturally sweet fruits such as apples, bananas, strawberries, and mangoes. Though the theobromine content in white chocolate is not as worrisome as milk or dark chocolate, its fat and sugar levels can still create lasting health complications for your pooch.