The short answer: No.
The long answer: Chocolates contain a component called theobromine that’s extremely toxic for dogs, and may result in symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, spasms, seizures, or heart attack. These aftereffects may manifest over as long as 72 hours. In severe cases, chocolate consumption may even lead to death.
The potential for death is dependent on your dog’s size, how much chocolate he consumes, and what kind of chocolate he eats in one sitting. Dark chocolate is said to be more toxic than milk and white chocolate because it has high amounts of methylxanthines that come from cacao seeds. Baking chocolate and dry cocoa powder will also produce the same poisonous effects to your dog, so keep them away from your dog at all times. Ingestion of more than 0.5 ounces of milk chocolate or 0.13 ounces of dark chocolate per pound of your dog’s body weight can cause poisoning.
What to do if your dog accidentally eats chocolate: Induce vomiting if it occurs within two hours. Don’t wait for symptoms to show because it could take them six to 12 hours to manifest. Call your veterinarian immediately so that she can treat your dog right away. If it is already past the two-hour window, your vet may focus on treating your dog’s symptoms with medicine.
In summary: Never allow your dog to try chocolates, even if he begs you for it. The sweet treat may be lethal depending on the size of your pet, the type of chocolate, and how much chocolate he eats in one sitting. Instead of chocolate, discover which other snacks dogs can safely eat in our “can dogs eat” category.