The short answer: No.
The long answer: Though not as lethal as grapes or raisins, plums may cause problems when consumed by your dog. The sharp pit may cause damage to your pet’s esophagus, stomach, or intestines, and may get stuck in his intestinal tract. Worse, a crushed pit may release cyanide that is toxic to dogs.
As for its fleshy part, a plum contains high amounts of natural sugar, so it isn’t the best snack to give to your dog. Though feeding him a tiny piece of the flesh won’t harm him, you should check that it has been washed properly, and isn’t overripe, fermented, or moldy. Canned plums should never be fed to your dog because of the artificial sugar and preservatives found in them.
What to do if your dog accidentally eats plums: Try to find out how many plums he has eaten, and which parts he has consumed. It’s a good sign if you find uneaten pits that are intact. Observe him closely and get in touch with your veterinarian if he displays any of the following symptoms: stomach pain, loss of appetite, low energy, vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, dilated pupils, excessive salivation, skin irritation, seizures, hyperventilation, shock, and coma. Your vet may need to induce vomiting to remove the pits from his stomach.
In summary: Though high in vitamins A, C, and K, and minerals such as magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium, plums should not be consumed by your dogs due to the complications that can be caused by its pits. Plums should be properly stored and kept out of your dog’s reach, so that he won’t be tempted to eat them. Instead of plums, discover which other fruits dogs can safely eat in our “can dogs eat” category.