No, dogs should not eat limes.
Similar to lemons and grapefruit, limes should not be fed to your dog at any time. This is because limes have fragrant essential oils (limonene and linalool) and a phototoxic compound (psoralens) that are considered toxic for dogs.
Eating a small piece of the citrus fruit itself may not affect your pooch. But when a substantial amount is eaten, it can cause digestive upset. Symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, and potential dermatitis. Similarly, eating the lime’s skin, leaves, and plant can cause serious complications to your pet.
What to do if your dog accidentally eats limes: Get in touch with your veterinarian immediately with details on how much lime your dog ate and any symptoms he is manifesting. Depending on how much he ate or what your dog was exposed to, your doctor may run tests to treat the lime poisoning.
In summary: Limes are highly acidic fruits that have carbohydrates, fiber, protein, iron, calcium, and vitamins C and B6. Belonging to the rutaceae family, this fruit should not be given to your dog as a treat as it can cause gastrointestinal complications. If you really want to treat your dog to a snack, go for pears, pineapples, raspberries, strawberries, and watermelon instead of limes.
Check out our “can dogs eat” category to discover more human food your pooch can safely eat.