The short answer: No.
The long answer: The toxicity in cherries comes from cyanogenic glycoside, which can be found in the fruit’s stems, leaves, and seeds. The small but hard center pit can damage your dog’s teeth, be a choking hazard, tear through his throat lining, or create blockage in his airway or intestinal passages. Meanwhile, the actual fruit may cause gastrointestinal upset.
What to do if your dog accidentally eats cherries: The hydrogen cyanide from the cherry plant stops your dog’s red blood cells from releasing oxygen, preventing oxygen from being distributed to his organs. Watch for signs of cyanide poisoning such as dilated pupils, runny eyes, gagging, vomiting, red gums, lethargy, rapid and laboured breathing, drooling, and convulsions.
If your dog only ate one cherry minus the pit, inform your vet about it and monitor your dog for symptoms of mild intestinal distress. Feed him boiled chicken and rice until his digestion improves. However, if your dog swallowed more than one cherry or its seed, it’s best to bring him to the vet immediately for observation. A cherry pit stuck in his intestine can become a life-threatening condition.
Black cherry is said to be the most toxic of all prunus species. Wilting cherry plants are most lethal to dogs because the cyanogenic glycosides have been fully released at this stage. Dog owners should be aware of possible cherry trees growing around their neighbourhood, and stay away from these when they’re walking their dogs.
In summary: Feeding your dog cherries is never a good idea. The crimson-colored fruit, the hard pit, the stems, and the leaves can cause damage in so many ways. Instead of cherries, discover which other fruits dogs can safely eat in our “can dogs eat” category.