The short answer: No.
The long answer: Think twice before letting your dog sniff through the raw ingredients in your kitchen as he may accidentally take an interest in your raw garlic cloves. Belonging to the allium species, garlic contains N-propyl disulfide that is highly toxic for dogs. It is said to be five times more potent than onions and leeks. If your dog consumes garlic, it may cause gastrointestinal distress and damage to his red blood cells, resulting in anemia.
Fresh, cooked, dried, or powdered garlic will deliver the same toxic effects to your dog. If you prepare garlic and other allium variants in the kitchen, make sure to dispose of your trash properly. Also, refrain from feeding dishes or soups that contain garlic to your dog.
What to do if your dog accidentally eats garlic: Schedule a visit to your vet immediately. A small amount of garlic may not affect a large-sized dog, but the same amount may affect a small-sized dog immediately. Observe for signs of lethargy, drooling, nausea, weakness, lack of coordination, vomiting, pale gums, increased heart rate, labored breathing, discolored urine, and abdominal pain. Depending on the level of garlic poisoning, your vet may recommend administering intravenous fluids, oxygen therapy, or blood transfusion.
In summary: Garlic is highly poisonous to dogs. In small amounts, it can cause pain by inflaming his stomach and intestines. Repeated consumption of this vegetable may cause irreparable damage to your dog’s cardiovascular system and/or digestive system, or may even lead to death. Instead of feeding him garlic, discover which other ingredients dogs can safely eat in our “can dogs eat” category.