No, polka dot plants are non-toxic to dogs.
The polka dot plant belongs to the Acanthaceae family, under the Hypoestes genus. Native to Southeast Asia, South Africa, and Madagascar, this plant is also called baby’s tears, freckle face, and measles plant. It is well-known for its leaves that come with uneven spots of colours. Popular cultivars have white, pale pink, or carmine red splotches.
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) states that polka dot plants are non-toxic to both dogs and cats. As such, canine carers and owners can have this plant in their property without worries. Nevertheless, it is not advisable for your pooch to have access to your indoor or outdoor plants if he has a habit of chewing on plant leaves or digging the soil. Falling pots may cause injury to your pet, while a plant sprayed with insecticide may cause poisoning.
What to do if your dog accidentally comes into contact with, chews, or eats a polka dot plant: Your pooch should not develop any health issues if he chewed or ate a small portion of the polka dot plant. However, if your polka dot plant has fertilisers or other chemicals, he may be poisoned by these.
The first step is to take the plant away from your dog, and remove its remnants from his body. Keep an eye on him for symptoms of poisoning. These may include diarrhea, vomiting, drooling, pale gums, nausea, tremors, convulsions, agitation, abnormal heart rate, unsteadiness on feet, and difficulty in breathing. Contact your veterinarian to report your observations.
In summary: Polka dot plants are great ornamental houseplants to grow around dogs. It is said that the leaves produce the best colour in low and indirect light situations. Aside from polka dot plants, discover which plants and flowers are canine-safe by visiting ASPCA, PetMD, and Pet Poison Helpline.
Hypoestes phyllostachya – Wikipedia
Dog poisoning: Signs of poisoning in dogs and what you need to do
Leave a comment
Your email address will not be published. All fields are required.